[Coco] Drivewire and Ubuntu

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Sat May 17 00:06:06 EDT 2014

On May 16, 2014 11:13 PM, "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <
coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> ok this avoids the crash, but complains that no brower can be open and
> disables it.
>
> How to turn back this option?

Theoretically this is the answer:

http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#browserlinuxrcp

I cannot promise it will work though, seems plenty of folks on Linux do
have trouble with this in other applications using SWT.  The good news is
that in DW at least it really isn't that important.  Only lost function is
clicking on URL of disks, you can still copy the URL into an insert disk
dialog so not too bad.

You will need to remove the item <NoBrowsers>true<NoBrowsers/>
>From drivewireUI.XML too, or DW will not even try to use them (and if it
fails, it will stick that item back in the config and bail out.. This is
because once you make a call to the API to open a browser, if it doesn't
work the JVM gets really, really weird.  Was trying to be safe)

> Then after updating DW, restarting I get back the
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at com.groupunix.drivewireui.MainWin$10.menuShown(MainWin.java:990)

This is a bug in DriveWire...  It looks like its trying to determine
whether to draw the HDBDos Mode menu item checked or not in the Tools menu,
but the server has not (yet?) delivered a valid configuration to the client
(and the routine doesn't check for that as it should).

I'm not sure why being root makes a difference.  It seems like the server
is just taking longer to get started when its not root?   Are there any
errors or warning from the server as it starts up when not sudo?  These
might only show up when using the -logviewer option (java -Dblah -jar
DW4UI.jar -logviewer) or if you have logging to the console / a file
enabled since they probably occur prior to the GUI being connected (so GUI
doesn't show them in its log screen).  If you can look at that or capture
and send to me there may be an answer.

I can fix the null pointer easily enough, but there is something deeper
going wrong I think.