[Coco] RS232 Schematics, was DriveWire survey

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Sun May 11 22:35:36 EDT 2014

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com
http://computerpcdoc.com/

Hi Guys!
I have been busy lately trying to get my laptop to boot off my primary hard
drive so I haven't had a chance to announce it yet, but I have finished my
Coco Slot Extension Hardware Development Adapter aka the Coco Dev Kit or
Coco Extender Kit.  It has two PCBs connected together by a 40 conductor 3"
ribbon cable exactly like the old typical hard drive IDE cables from old
PCs, but just quite a bit shorter.  The Coco Slot Extension Hardware
Development Adapter connects the Coco Expansion Slot to a solderless
breadboard and has a 28-pin socket for an 8KB or 16KB HDB-DOS eprom so you
can use it without a Multipak Interface and still have access to all your
files!  I'm glad development is taking place for a 16KB enhanced HDB-DOS
eprom image.  There is also an autostart jumper on it so it can be used to
house and run a completely custom program that is capable of taking over the
Coco on power up if needs dictate.  There is no buffering of any signals so
obviously that is the next thing to include in the product.  All 40 pins are
connected to the solderless breadboard so it will work on all Cocos.  It
comes with an HDB-DOS eprom installed on the assembled version and is
included in with the bare PCBs kit or unassembled parts kit if needed so I
will need to know in the orders if it will be used in/with a Coco 1, 2 or 3
for your hardware development.  This current version fits in the game
cartridge pak and since the game cartridges have a slot in the bottom big
enough for a 40 conductor ribbon cable no new holes nor slots will need to
be created.  The sliding door and spring must be removed though to allow the
grounding tabs to be inserted into the Coco slot.  I'll take a picture of it
tonight and post it on my wiki page.  Of course I'm willing to sell them
assembled or as bare PCBs or even kits if you like.  I'll announce the
prices in a day or so for all three versions.
Bill Pierce, thank you for lighting a fire under my butt on this product.
:)  I really appreciate it.  I get so involved in one task that sometimes I
forget all the others that need attention too.  I do have one prototype
already working in Australia.  He ordered bare PCBs to keep shipping costs
down, so yes I'm very willing to ship any of my products internationally.
It turned out it was not hard at all to ship anywhere in the world.  It's
fun getting the international addresses to fit the form though.  I'm not
sure what he is up to with it yet, but it will be interesting to see what
people end up creating with this new product.  I built one for myself so I
can develop a more complicated product that has been rolling around in my
head for a while now so that means I have one more prototype left to build
and sell if any one wants one right now.  Otherwise, I'd like to find out
how many of you hardware hobbiest's or professional hardware designers out
there in Coco / Dragon land would like one.  There is some space left in the
game cartridge for an add-on PCB of some type, but I have not made any
add-on PCBs yet, so we'll have to see how this plays out.  Maybe full
buffering will fit.  Hummm...  If you all have any ideas for this project,
please just drop me a line.  Now that I have done several projects, I'm more
confident than I was before when I first started making PCBs so let the
ideas flow.  I'd like to see some more devices interfaced to our beloved
Coco.  I need to correct a minor error with this first version which will
just take a few minutes then I can order a production run.  That's what
prototypes are for anyway, to find all the flaws.  :)  Take care my friends.
Kip