[Coco] Help with The Magic of Zanth for CoCo 3

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Sun May 11 17:51:50 EDT 2014

*I'm still looking for help with the beginning of the game*, but to respond
to Nick for a moment... I think it comes down to either having an affinity
for classic synthesized speech or not. I always loved the sound of it and
still do. I seek out such options for my collection for every platform
possible. In fact, I wish it was easier to make more games - particularly
text adventures - talk. It just adds something very era-specific to the
experience that can't really be matched today. Today it's no big deal to
have speech in games; that speech though is "real" speech, not generated
on-the-fly. Certainly there were better solutions even in the classic era,
but the ones that sounded better were generally limited to a small amount
of phrases versus "unlimited" speech like you hear in the Zanth game.

The expansion interface is clunky, agreed, but then these mass market
consumer systems generally weren't meant to be internally expandable. Costs
had to be saved somewhere. It's hard to compare an Apple II, which cost
well north of $1000 to a CoCo or Commodore 64 that cost well south of $500.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and