[Coco] A year in review at Cloud-9

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Wed May 7 13:40:36 EDT 2014

On 14-05-07 11:32 AM, CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts wrote:
> FF41 is right according to docs, however FPGA and the emulators also
> have FDC and seem to work fine.  I'm not sure why a real coco would be
> any different in terms of conflicts.
>
> In any case, please try to use standards... the last thing we need is
> yet another variation on drivers that basically do the same thing :)

The conflict comes because the FDC doesn't completely decode its
addresses so the FF40 register appears at FF41 through FF47 as well. If
the FDC was integrated into the device as on the FPGA, or specifically
designed not to conflict (as on emulators), there would be no problem
since the device itself would decode things properly. As it stands,
however, you would have a bus conflict between the FDC and any other
external device because both devices would respond to those addresses.

--
William Astle
lost at l-w.ca