[Coco] Coco monitors 1084s-xx ?

Torsten Dittel OS-9 at TRS-80.CC
Sun Mar 30 17:45:03 EDT 2014

Retro Canada <retrocanada76 at ...> writes:

> yep you just have to invert hsync and vsync.

I remember darkly I could use my 1084S (maybe D2? It recently died after
using it for at least 25 years as a TV set) without modifications with a CoCo3.

It had (if my brain is not fooling me, which it does with increased
frequency ;-)) a D-SUB 9 RGB connector with one pin being Composite Sync
(C-Sync) input. Interestingly enough, there seemed to be a so called "Sync
Stripper" circuit in this monitor, because I just fed the CoCo3's Composite
Video out into this pin (and of course the RGB lines) and it worked just
fine without mixing/inverting H-Sync and V-Sync (or using an external Sync
Stripper) to create a C-Sync signal.

What I might need to add: All CoCos I tried were PAL CoCo3s, where the 50Hz
PAL Composite Video signal is mixed on a daughter board right out of the
RGBHV signals (and the GIME's NTSC Composite Video output is discarded).

Regards,
Torsten