[Coco] Becker Port patch and win32 build for MESS 0.152s

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Mar 27 01:56:15 EDT 2014

Richard,
I also saw the MPI in the cart list. After selecting it, you do a "system reset" there on the same page and then it appears in the "Slot" menu but it doesn't seem to accept any form of input. I think it's an unfinished project. You should be able to select from the available roms or browse for a new rom. In looking at the way the rest of the system works, I think that's were the developer was stumped. Most other options select either from browsing for something or from something internal.. not both in one menu choice.

A good example being the "Slot" menu. You can choose several options but cannot browse the PC for a program pak. I haven't tried this yet from a GUI as no GUI (that Ive found) yet supports your Becker Port fix. I think that has to be done when building a new GUI, not really sure yet. It may inherit the Mess menus from the code built with it, again, not sure. I'm still new to this but the more I look, the more I understand.

As for the MPI, I think the slot "choices" need to be added in the source as they seem to be blank. There may be a way to add both internal and external choices. I haven't looked real close at those sources yet.

I've yet to get the code to compile as I seem to be missing a library or something. I know the website said that the page was an old one and that newer builds needed libraries not listed. I've yet to look into it further. I know that one thing it mentioned was the DX9 libraries and all that's offered is DX8 and this could very well be my problem. I just haven't had the time to go back into it yet.

I'm also going to check into building one of the GUIs for Windows. I like the GUI much better as you have much more control over the system. I know a lot of what I want can be set from the "ini" files, but call me lazy. I like a point and click control panel like the ones found in the better GUIs. Plus, I know little about the Mess settings so it would take more research to know the settings needed in the "ini" files. I have always run Mess from one of the GUIs.

One thing I have noticed that's odd and I don't think it's just your build. I think all newer Mess vesions do it. And that's when I switch to "natural" keyboard mode as opposed to "emulated" (coco layout), the arrow keys cease to work. They work fine in emulated mode but not in natural. I work in C source codes a lot in OS9, so I like to have access to all the "special" keys just as they are mapped to the PC keyboard. Like "[ ] { } / \ " etc. I know these can be access with control key combos on the Coco keyboard but even my real Coco 3 has an AT keyboard so I'm used to working a PC keyboard on my Coco as well.

But again, so far it is all working well except the keyboard thing above. I just switched the VHD images I was using with Vcc over to Mess and it booted right up. I have been running Ultimuse3, MV Canvas, Ed 3.1 (full screen text editor), and the C compiler on a HUGE compiling project. I've also run some of my software projects which make extensive use DriveWire ports and everything seems to run fine.

Thanks again Nice job :-)

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia