[Coco] Becker Port patch and win32 build for MESS 0.152s

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Mar 26 09:42:29 EDT 2014

Richard Goedeken wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> The design of MAME/MESS is such that it makes it hard for you to swap in/out
> custom roms.  I'm sure this is on purpose; they want to validate the ROM
> images and prevent people from running bad dumps.  Wouldn't it be possible to
> use the '-cart' option to load the rom as though it were a cartridge?
><snip>

With the current MESS, loading a disk ROM in a cart slot kills all floppy I/O.
With RGBDOS in a cart slot, I get I/O for the hard drives (now two) but no
floppy action.
This new MESS action prevents having a stock disk11.rom in a ROM directory with
RGBDOS in a cart slot.

Having to type OK to get custom disk ROMs to work is a pain in the you know
what. The only way around that now is to change the CRC value expected by MESS.
That is not completely satisfactory if you don't want custom ROMs in both Coco2
and Coco3 emulation.

Robert