[Coco] Becker Port patch and win32 build for MESS 0.152s

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Mar 26 12:40:43 EDT 2014

Robert,
The emudsk files are still in the repo. I was thinking the MESS emudsk was different from the VCC emudsk, but realized after I wrote the message that they're the same.
Tormod is supposed to modidfy the make files soon (after the 3.3.0 finalization) and make them appear in the "NITROS9/6x09Lx/MODULES/RBF" folder soon.
Until then, I have copies of it all if anyone needs them.

Then I hope to get some EMUDSK and hybrid EMUDSK/DW4 NtrOS9 boot disks being built in the repo and posted to the "Latest Bilds" downloads. Especially with the advent of MESS w/Becker Port, we will be needing this. ** So far **, MESS w/Becker Port works on Linux & Windows, hopefully, a Mac version will be soon. This gives us a cross-platform Coco (and others) emulator for everyone, complete with DW4 access. This has been needed for a looong time :-)

Until the MESS/Becker Port changes are stable & the MESS dev team accepts the changes from Richard (if he wants to submit them), I am willing to host the binaries and sources for the new MESS on my site as well as post them to The Color Computer Archives site.

I'm stll playing around with compiling the mess sources myself and as soon as I can successfully compile them, I'm thinking of just adding the HDBDOS roms ( with & without offsets) to the "coco_fdc.c" & "coco_fdc.h" source files as "alt" roms. From what I've seen from the sources, these files are the only place the actual roms are referred to so this should not be a problem and "disk11.rom" could still be used for "regular" MESS use. The "disk11.rom" itself is flagged an "alt" rom so I think this method would work.
It still will not allow "beta" roms to be added, but that could be done by doing as Richard suggested by just loading them from a disk image. At least this way we have a "no hassle" MESS build that will boot up in HDBDOS from startup with no special configurations. "NOOB Proof" LMAO
All that would needed then would be to create some rom zips with the HDBDOS roms (with & without offsets) included to distribute for the binary MESS packages.

I would say a way around doing roms with and without offsets would be to add to the BASIC "AUTOEXEC/BAS" file to set HDBDOS offsets on/off, but I've found most people don't even use this program, so making the roms available in both forms would still be convenient.

All this came about as I finally got back to working on my "DW4 Starter Kit", "VCC w/DW4 Starter Kit" and "XRoar w/DW4 Starter Kit". I was about to put some finishing touches on these packages so now I guess I need to do a "MESS w/DW4 Starter Kit" :-)

Bill Pierce
"Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens (RIP)

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com