[Coco] Becker Port patch and win32 build for MESS 0.152s

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Mar 24 23:58:38 EDT 2014

Richard,
I've gotten Mess to run Coco3h (6309) with the Becker port.......
BUT... The HDBDOS rom has to be renamed to "disk11.rom" and zipped with "coco3.rom" to "cocoh.zip" (and the others for Coco 1&2). Then you run into the CRC not matching the expected disk11.rom. I used a hex editor to change the crc for disk11.rom in mess to the hdbdos crc and got it to run with an"incorrect rom but "ok" to ccontinue" prompt.
I only got as far as hdbdos because all my Nitros9 boots are for real Cocos, Vcc, or XRoar. I think Mess requires a different version of the "emudsk.dr" in the Nitros9 boot to be ale to read the internal VHD (not DW4). I should be able to boot a standard becker disk from the repo though....

Yep, just checked a repo becker disk and it boots Nitros9 just fine, though it did "reboot" itself on first boot. I think this is something to do with the new NOS9 build as Vcc does the same thing.
I even ran Ultimuse3 and played a song through DW4 Midi. Works perfect :-D

I haven't checked the other emulations yet, just the Coco 3 6309 (coco3h) as that's was the boot I had handy. I'll try the others later, maybe tomorrow, or tonight if I decide to fix another pot of coffee :-)

So there is the matter of how to make Mess not check the CRC of the Coco roms. This would allow one to change from standard DECB rom to HDBDOS rom when needed. Then we could even use custom, experimental roms as well. A lot of "playing" is being done to the roms lately by various programmers. Mess's debugger would be handy in new rom developement if this feature were disabled.

Now to get the proper emudsk driver for reading Mess's dual VHDs as well. That allows 6 VHDs total in a Nitros9 setup. 4 in DW4 and 2 in Mess PLUS the 4 floppies.

All in all... GREAT JOB!!!. Now to work out the fine details :-)

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com