[Coco] CoCoFest

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 21:24:28 EDT 2014

Steve has it right.  You must send a single feed from the fest site to a
well connected site, and then provide the stream to users from there.  In
past years I've kept the usage of the hotel WiFi down to a few hundred
Kilobit/s while providing over 100 megabit/s of video (at peak usage) from
a datacenter I have rack space in. Unfortunately I just do not have the
spare bandwidth this year, added several new customers and I'm pushing the
point of having to negotiate a bigger pipe already.

If virtual attendance is typical this year, even a fast home internet
connection would probably struggle and end up being a pain for you and
viewers alike.  There is also quite a bit of latency added by going in and
out of a consumer carrier/home network equipment/etc.

I would highly recommend something like ustream as Steve suggested.  These
services can handle all the traffic the remote coconuts could ever ask for
:). They are designed to do exactly what is needed.

On Mar 24, 2014 9:06 PM, "Steve" <6809er at srbsoftware.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> While you do have a premium Skype account (like so many), you will not
have the bandwidth to host the Video Call at the fest.

> The hotel WiFi has very low bandwidth you will be lucky to Skype out to
one video chater, much less a group of them.
> Remember, on Skype who ever creates the call is the central hub for the
phone and everyone links via their bandwidth.

> Your best bet is to have another person at home with 5 Mbit or more of
UPLOAD bandwidth host the call with you Skyping in to that person.