[Coco] Glenside IDE Drivers NitrOS-9 Disk Image Needed

Shane Broadbent shanetb at telstra.com
Mon Mar 17 09:03:52 EDT 2014

Shane Broadbent <shanetb at ...> writes:

> Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus <retrocanada76 <at> ...> writes:
>

> > Yes, it won't fit anything.
> >
> > Do you have a coco3 ? You can change the HDB-DOS offset in RAM to 0
> > and then format drive 0 and see if you can save and read something
> > from it. If you have a coco1/2 you will need to run the allram program
> > first (500 peeks & pokes for trs-80 color).
> >
> > POKE &HD938,0:POKE &HD939,0:POKE&HD93A,0
> >
> > DISKINI 0
> >
> > DIR
> >

> Thanks Luis, I feel like I'm getting there (baby steps), but such a CoCo
> novice
>
> But the last step...reading from the CF is still giving me I/O Error.
>
> If I do a DISKINI 0, 1, etc then that seems to go through and comes back to
> the OK prompt (CF activity LED illuminates).
>
> Another thing I have done is to use the CoCo SDC with HDB-DOS in a flash bank.
>
> I mounted a floppy in drive0, booted to HDB-DOS, enabled the floppy drives
> (DRIVE OFF), tried a 'BACKUP 0 TO 4' to copy the floppy to hard disk 4.
> The SDC & CF activity LEDs both flicker and it completes back to an OK
> prompt, but I still cannot read the HD disk 4 (CF).
>
> Cheers,
> Shane

Over the weekend I had a bit more of a 'play' around with the Glenside
board, and along
with the CoCo SDC I was able to copy and run stuff from the CF on the
Glenside board.

I got an original copy of the 'HDB-DOS LBA' ROM and hex edited the the pre &
post amble
to enable it to boot from a flash position on the CoCo SDC.

I then set the Jumper on the Glenside board to 70 and after booting into
HDB-DOS LBA
from the CoCo SDC, I was able to access the 10MB CF card.
I could then copy from the SDC (floppy drive) to the Glenside (CF).
I do not have any 'real' floppy disk drives, so the SDC was perfect and
worked a treat.

I then modified the Glenside board to provide power to pin 20 of the CF
adapter, and
then I flipped all the LED's on the CF adapter as they are all on the
underside when
the adapter is plugged into the Glenside. Now the LED's are on top and visible.

Today (Monday) at work, I remembered we had some 1GB CF cards sitting in a
cupboard
from so Router upgrades a few years ago, so I grabbed a couple.

I do not have an EPROM burner, but I had one burnt for me using the file
that Luis
provided with his image. I used win32diskimager to get the image onto the CF
and all
went perfectly and with the Glenside board jumper set to 50, and my EPROM
plugged into
the Glenside board, it all booted up fine (or so I thought).

The default OS-9 boots fine, plus all the flavours up to the CC3 6809...it
hangs after
getting to the green screen with the initial message. I then tried 'wired',
and it bombs.
Sidekick works fine, but I finally realised what was happening. For some
reason, my CC3
is not being detected as a CC3, so any CC3 specific stuff bombs, but
everything else works.
I beleive it is down to the EPROM with the HDB-DOS LBA.

If I use the exact same image, and place it onto a flash bank of the CoCo
SDC, everything
works perfectly from the CF image, all the CC3 stuff etc., as expected.

So what could cause the ROM to not recognize the CC3...everything else
works, it's as though
it thinks it's a CoCo2...anything CoCo3 specific fails.

Very strange...I thought I was there with the Glenside setup, but still a
niggle to frustrate
me further. Hahaha...

Cheers,.
Shane