[Coco] Windows vs. Linux (was 512K upgrade)

nickma2 at optusnet.com.au nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 12 19:50:48 EDT 2014

 I can understand where your coming from and for me, Windows is the
better choice than Linux.

To bring this topic back into the CoCo realm...

Linux and OS-9 share similarities.

I haven't been sold to OS-9 because of the very same issues as linux.
I just don't find the software running under OS-9 to be as good or
useful to me as what I can find or do under RS-DOS.

Case in point... my game "Popstar Pilot" would be impossible to do
under a normal OS-9 environment.

I know OS-9 is very powerful and I'm aware of it's features. It's a
dream to those OS hacker types, much in the way Linux is.

But I don't believe I should be concentrating on constantly fixing the
OS. I believe that the OS should be there to allow applications to run
and allow the user to achieve things. There are very few OS-9 apps
that are of interest to me.

That's not to say that these OS hacker types are stupid and wasting
their time. That's what they like, that's fine.

I'm just saying that it doesn't exactly "move the earth"  *for me*.

If OS-9 had a decent GUI and ran a bit faster, I could be swayed but
till then, I'll stick with RS-DOS (instant boot, easy and fast program
development, allows me to hit-the-hardware and get the max from the
hardware)

Nick