[Coco] Windows vs. Linux (was 512K upgrade)

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 12 18:37:12 EDT 2014

On 10/03/2014 4:36 AM, Louis Ciotti wrote:

> My biggest problem with linux is the lack of software that works as well
> as software on windows or OS X.

I was loathe to weigh in on this religious (& OT) debate but I must say I'd
agree very strongly with this statement.

A few years ago I decided to trial running a Linux desktop at home,
attempting to break my dependency on Windows. I lasted 3 days, and it was a
dismal failure; not because I prefer Windows over Linux, but because the OS
and applications simply couldn't deliver the quality and functionality I got
under Windows. And I'm afraid that has put me off using Linux on the desktop
for life.

[I should add, I've been using Linux for many, many years for other purposes
- our office server is Linux for example, and I've had two Linux laptops in
the past. So it's not a noob aversion at all.]

No point debating me, or telling me I'm stupid (regardless of the truth of
it) or wrong. I'm not advocating Windows for anyone but myself, and if you
have a better experience on Linux, then I'm happy for you!

Regards,