[Coco] Keil under VMWARE or better suggestion

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon Mar 10 10:20:51 EDT 2014

Mark McDougall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ultimately I want to install Nitros9 L1 on my CF for playing around on my
> HDBDOS-enabled Coco1/2 FPGA implementation.
>
> But before I attempt to get that far, I thought I'd better get it running under
> an emulator on windows first...
>
> I tried running Keil on my 64-bit Windows 7 and of course it doesn't run. So I
> fired up VMWARE with 32-bit WinXP and have had no luck at all running it there
> either.

The Keil Coco3 emulator will run under WinXP but you must make it possible for
"DOS" functions to be available. That means AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT must be
present in the Windows/System32 directory.
My CONFIG.NT contains
dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
device=%SystemRoot%\emm386.exe
EMM = RAM
STACKS=16,512
files=100
buffers=50

> The Coco1 version of the emulator doesn't respond to <F4> or <F5> but will
> respond to <F10> etc. Can't explain that one at all.
>
> The Coco2 version of the emulator responds to <F4> but refuses to list any files
> at all in the ROM file selector screen, so I can't even insert the disk
> controller cartridge into the MPI!?! It's a conspiracy!!!
>
> I've just had zero luck tonight and I'm over it all.
>
> Anyone successfully run L1 on a Coco1/2 emulator under Windows 7 64-bit? If so,
> which emulator did you use? Is MESS up to the task?

MESS will probably work. It handles all Coco models just fine under WinXP.

> Also on another note: is there any way to grab the Nitros9 source without
> installing Mercurial?

Sure! Go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/nitros9/ and select the link CODE.
You should arrive at http://sourceforge.net/p/nitros9/code/ci/default/tree/

You should also see the link Download Snapshot. That will give you the complete
source code for the project. Don't even think about this unless you have a
broadband connection.

Robert