[Coco] 512K upgrade

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Sat Mar 8 11:46:37 EST 2014

I think your assessment of the "failings" of Windows and how wonderful
Linux is are rather overblown. For an operating system family with over 90%
market share on traditional computing platforms versus an operating system
family with under 2% marketshare, it really, honestly can't be all that
bad. A lot of the security issues you complain about come about from the
lack of sophistication of some its users and the very marketshare that
makes it so mainstream, and thus, a logical target. Really, if you have
recent versions of Windows like 7 and 8, half a chance, you'd see a stable,
secure operating system that's supremely well supported for users of every
level. It's great that there's some choice on traditional computing
platforms, though, be it Windows, MacOS, Linux, or even ChromeOS. For the
vast majority of users they don't ever really need to bother with what's
going on with their machine and have only basic needs, hence the popularity
of smartphones and tablets. We sometimes have to divorce ourselves from the
idea that "those people" should know better (or do more) and just accept
that we're all into different things. Myself, I'm into technology, but when
it comes to something like cars, for instance, I'm as hopeless as those
people who install the "virus known as Windows." It's one thing to express
your preference for something and the reasons why, it's another to expect
or look down upon those who don't share those same preferences or have
similar needs. Perhaps I'm a bit more sensitive to fierce brand loyalty
because I've made it one of my goals to try and fight for the joys of all
types of technology past and present, rather than laser focus or loyalty on
one brand or class of products (just look at my bibliography to understand
what I mean).

I think that type of thinking is one of the reasons why it's difficult to
expand our modern day CoCo community, for instance. A lot of today's
would-be collectors have it in their heads that a CoCo is primitive junk in
comparison to the more popular platforms of the day like the Apple II,
C-64, and Atari 8-bit. I think we should do what we can to understand and
promote the idea that we're all in the same small boat, past and present,
and need to evangelize this type of technology in general, rather than such
a blatant black and white, "this sucks."

-Bill

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and