[Coco] RadioShack closing 1100 stores

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Mar 7 15:09:54 EST 2014

Radio Shack were big with phones since the earl;y 80's. They saw a
growing market in phones and they were right. Look where at the
evolution of normal phones into smartphones.

What killed them is the amount of competition that came up to take up
that markets.

And the fact that they "put all their eggs in one basket".

Radio Shack, like every other major retailer are always looking for the
next big thing. The TRS-80 was a gamble which management had their
doubts on originally. As it turned out, it became a success... until the
competition closed in.

It could also be that Radio Shack are a large company and it can be hard
for large companies to transition into areas as quickly as a smaller
company. They were slow in keeping up with the trends, the competition
often moving forward faster than them.

If they were to go back-to-ther-roots and support the hobby market, they
would have to do it with less stores. The hobby market isn't as
profitable and they will struggle to keep so many US stores open.
Closure of stores is inevitable.

Nothing new here in Australia. All their stores closed down 10 years
ago. Purchased by Dick Smith Electronics who themselves have struggled.
They too have lost the hobby market and have tried to become a big
electrical department store.

It's unfortunate but stores in high rental areas need to make high
profits to survive else they shutdown.

Nick