[Coco] RadioShack closing 1100 stores

Louis Ciotti lciotti at me.com
Wed Mar 5 15:07:40 EST 2014

As much as I would love to see RS go back to it's roots, unless they are willing to match the prices you see on-line for component parts they will fail.  When I can go to any number of on-line retailers for component parts at low cost, and often with no sales tax (for now) at dirt cheap prices I will never use a RS if they keep there current price structure on these types of parts.  Even after the 1100 stores are shut down at 4000+ locations remaining, it will be  too many stores to be "niche" store that only caters to one market.  All of us tech/geek type would love to have FPGAs/CPLDs/Microcontrollers etc, but 99% of the population were the stores are would not be interested in that sort of stuff.  RS is a sinking ship and I have a feeling it has taken on too much water to be saved.  It will never be able to compete in the consumer electronics market with the likes of best buy and walmart, so unless they go all out with a large variety of specialty items that caters to multiple "niche" markets, even then it will be a huge gamble that it takes off.  Bottom line they need to have quality and low cost, which in this world is difficult to find that balance.