[Coco] Anyone interested in creating a Southeastern Color ComputerConvention somewhere?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Mar 5 09:08:27 EST 2014

On Wednesday 05 March 2014 08:31:01 Bill Pierce did opine:

> How would something like Virginia work for those up north? I know
> PennFest in Pennsylvania went over well many years ago. Virginia would
> work better for those of us in the south. A middle ground of sorts. I
> know there's quite a few of you up north. Or we could get BRAVE and
> just hold it at Gene Heskett's house (ducking the shotgun blast) :-P

Chuckle, dunno about the brave part, more like survivalist.  We're a pair
of packrats, and anything with a roof over it just has narrow trails thru
the "stuff".  Even the garage is an obstacle course since we had to pull
some shelves away from the wall to install the whole house generator.   And
unless they can fix my back (MRI now rescheduled for this Friday) that
isn't likely to change for the better anytime soon.

> Call it "CocoFest-East" or something. We could sit around and drink
> coffee until "it's 5 O'Clock somewhere" and no one would care how many
> showed up :-) Oh.... and we could talk about the Coco...

And would also be BYOB. And other kewl things computers can do, like run
lathes and milling machines.  Not coco's of course (too slow by 750x) but
relatively inexpensive Atom board machines, soon (yet this year I think) to
be replaced with Beaglebone Blacks ($69/copy+interface board) in new
conversions. The word conversions is used because we make most of the
hardware needed to put the motors on them, and replacement drive screws
many times more accurate than the OEM parts. Or the finer points of
reloading your own ammo so you can shoot lots more for the same money.  Or
carving wood to make a new gunstock.  Or carving a PCB for an electronics
project, no environmentally destroying chemistry.

My interests are, shall we say, eclectic.  With lots of "war stories" to
tell.