[Coco] CoCo SDC: SDHC type

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 17:06:23 EST 2014

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Torsten Dittel wrote:

> Is there any limitation regarding the size of the SDHC beside the SDHC
> (assuming FAT32) 32GB max. size? I remember to have read 8GB max. size for
> the CoCo SDC somewhere, but I can't find that now.

The largest card I have tested with is 8GB but any SDHC capacity that can
be formatted with FAT32 should work in theory.

Is there any advantage / disadvantage regarding perfomance (not waste of
> space) by using:
>
> a) SD vs. SDHC
> b) FAT16 vs. FAT32
> c) 4KB vs. 8KB vs. 16KB vs. 32KB cluster size
> d) Speed class 2 vs. 4 vs. 6 vs. 10

Cluster size is probably the only item that would affect performance of the
CoCo SDC, and even that would only show up when using very large DSK files.
Larger cluster sizes allow faster traversal of the FAT when seeking to
positions far from the beginning of the file.

Is there any known incomaptibility to certain SD card type?

One person has reported a problem using an old PNY 1GB SD card, but it may
have just been a defective card.

Darren