[Coco] CoCo SDC - using the flash banks

Shane Broadbent shanetb at telstra.com
Sat Mar 1 08:50:11 EST 2014

Hello, CoCo SDC owners.

I have tried pretty much everything I can think of with the SDC and all
works great.
Single disk programs, multi-disk programs, NOS-9 and associated programs,
hooked it to a Drivewire server, run the sdc101 update file into flash
position 7 just to see this working (works as expected when I type run @7).

The one thing I have not successfully done is copy a program file to flash
and execute it with the "run @X" command.
As an example I tried to write the game "Frogger" (single binary file) to
flash with the following commands...

I did a loadm"frogger but instead of EXEC I did the following "Write Mem"
command.

WRITE MEM @3,&H0e00,&HC000,13018

    @bank         - bank number in which the data will be written (0-7)
    source        - starting address of the source data
    destination   - address in the Flash where the data will be written
(C000-FEFF)
    count         - number of bytes to write

I used the windows program "CoCoDSK" to check the load address and the total
bytes.

After issuing the "Write Mem" it comes back with the OK prompt (no error),
but an attempt to run the file from flash (run @3) just locks up the CoCo.

Is my thinking totally wrong...I am a CoCo novice after all.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Shane