[Coco] Setting up xroar on linux

Greg Law glaw at live.com
Wed Jun 25 19:18:24 EDT 2014

Bob Devries wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> well, I've sorta got it working on Windows8.2.
>
> If the correct rom files with the correct names are present in the
> directory from which xroar is run, it will work, at least up to ECB level.
> The names (as per the manual page 10) are bas11.rom, extbas11.rom.
>
> I haven't yet got it to use Disk basic. This should be possible using the
> xroar.conf file (I think). However, Windows does not have the path
> expected by xroar ( ~/Local Settings/Application Data/XRoar) nor does it
> have ~/Application Data/XRoar). I tried putting a config file in the same
> directory as xroar, but it's ignored.
>
> These paths should be able to be bypassed using environment variables,
> but, being new to W8, I haven't a clue how to do that.
>
> Hopt that helps

This is a bit twisted, but you're actually looking for
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\XRoar with the one catch being that
AppData is a hidden folder so you can't see it by default.

The easy way to get to it is to open Explorer, then go to
C:\Users\<username> (where <username> is your login name like Bob or
BDevries). When you get here, click on the explorer bar at the top (the one
that says [This PC] > C: > Users > Greg) and it'll change to C:\Users\Greg
(using my username as an example here). Press the End key to go to the end
of the line and type "\AppData" (without the quotes) so it's now
"C:\Users\Greg\AppData" and press ENTER. You should now be in
C:\Users\<username>\AppData and be able to see the XRoar folder.

>From the other side of the fence, XRoar should be able to find this folder
without any problem because "C:\Users\<username>\Local Settings" is a
junction (symlink) that points to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local" and
"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Application Data" is another junction
that points to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local".

What this actually means in reality is that if you open a command prompt and
type:

cd "\Users\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data"

(with the quotes to escape the spaces) you actually land in
C:\Users\<username>\AppData.

Just don't try this in Explorer because Microsoft jury-rigged it to throw up
"Access is denied" if you try to browse through these symlinks for some
unknown reason.