[Coco] Extracting programs from .dsk to .cas

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 23 19:24:14 EDT 2014

On 24/06/2014 9:05 AM, Stephen Robinson wrote:

> I realize that some programs depend on Disk Basic and having disks to
> load from, but is there any way for me to get at least some onto
> cassette? I've always wanted to give Phantom Slayer a go on my
> physical Coco. :)

I was trying to do exactly this last week, and stumbled across this:

<http://www.coco3.com/community/2010/05/cocotape-where-can-i-download-it/>

Note, however that - as it says in the link - it can't handle multi-origin
.BIN files yet... though whether that's true of purely consecutive segments
I'm not sure. In the end it wasn't suited to my purpose and so I didn't get
it working successfully.

I'm surprised there isn't a more complete tool out there to do this; from
what I can tell it's trivial. You mentioned that you might give it a go
yourself - go for it. The .BIN format is itself trivial:

#CoCo Disk BASIC
#Coco binary files can be multi-section.  Each section is:
#$00 <16-bit length> <16-bit start address> <data>...
#The last section is $FF <16-bit exec address>
#(from: Robert Gault)

Good luck!

Regards,