[Coco] DAC sound output and keyboard input

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 21 08:16:55 EDT 2014

On 21/06/2014 9:09 AM, Steve wrote:

> The CoCo3 has two buttons on the joystick.  So what this talk of a single
> button changes the game play significantly?  Just use a two button joystick.

I didn't know 2-button coco joysticks existed. I certainly don't own one.

> As for reading the joystick, you only need to see is the joystick below the
> 1/3 point and above the 2/3 point.  Anything in the middle range is no
> movement.  Just make sure you turn off the DAC to the sound output while
> doing the joystick read and write back the old DAC value when done.

I've never been a fan of using analogue joysticks for 'digital' input.
Having said that, the Apple II joystick was analogue, and I am attempting to
recreate the "Apple experience", so I guess my argument goes down the drain.
I'll look at adding it for the final version.

> To make sure they use a two button joystick, just use the second button to
> start the game.  No second button than no joystick for control.
> That's how us old timers did it back in the day.

Noted, thanks.

Regards,