[Coco] DAC sound output and keyboard input

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 20 18:04:06 EDT 2014

On 21/06/2014 4:20 AM, Nick Marentes wrote:

> As I said, no need for 6-bit DAC sound if you're only emulating the Apple II
> 1-bit sound.

Yes, the beta release is using 1-bit sound, but DAC is supported too in the
source code.

> Maybe use the 6-bit DAC to add joystick control to the game? To dig, with
> the fire button held down, move the joystick left or right to dig left or
> right. Did the Apple II version supprt Apple joysticks?

I'm loathe to open that can of worms. The Apple joysticks have 2 buttons,
for digging left and right. A single button changes the gameplay
significantly, for the worse IMHO.

> I could never use the cursor arrow key cluster for player control. I always
> preferred the TRS-80 Model 1 (and CoCo 1/2) arrow key positions for game
> control.

The Coco3 cluster is particularly useless for games. I'd suggest the
original Apple keys for movement (I,J,K,L) and then Z,X for digging.

Regards,