[Coco] DriveWire survey results

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Jun 20 16:48:07 EDT 2014

On Friday 20 June 2014 16:11:37 Bill Pierce via Coco did opine
And Gene did reply:
> I think the problem with no one using the dw4 midi, is that they assume
> they need a Midi keyboard. They don't realize that you "just use it".
> Load Lyra, run, and .... Music.... Load Ultimuse3, run it... and
> Music...

The real limit is finding a GM file that resembles the non-GM keyboards we
had 20 years ago, like a Casio CZ-101, or an MT-240. (I was cheap then)

> Being a musician, I'm probably prejudiced here :-)
> I cut my "midi" teeth on the Coco back in the 80s

Chuckle, so we are a crowd of 2?  I was driving one keyboard from the bit
banger, and another from a converted RS232 pack, from UmuseIII for a time.
But "mousing" in the music was a major PIMA because the mouse hit when you
clicked was never on the bar line you clicked on.  The pack got converted
back to normal rs232 clocking, and a serial mouse attached.  It moves when
you do, and sends the hit exactly where you clicked.  Nitros9's
joydrv_6551.sb is my driver for the mouse, and auto-switches between
logitek and M$ mouse data formats.  So almost any old ball mouse should
do.

> Bill Pierce
> "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens

> Co-Webmaster of The TRS-80 Color Computer Archive
> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)