[Coco] DW3 & HDB-DOS

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 15:08:30 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Spencer via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone!
>
> Ok been reading over docs (still a neophyte!!!) on DW3 and HDB-DOS, and I need a little clarification & guidance.
>
> First things first:  I want to be able to connect either my CC2 or CC3 to my Windows 98 legacy gaming system, so I bought a DW cable. Then I thought I could load my Win98 system with .DSK files and run them on the CC using the DW server and the DW cable, but I'm confused as to what the client is on my CCs.  So what's the client for my CCs?
>
> I thought I'd needed the HDB-DOS eprom in my CC disk controller for the client, but after I read Cloud9s doc on HDB-DOS and seeing their hard drive packages I'm more confused.  I see that even with Cloud9s hdd packages HDB-DOS is still needed in an eprom but what pak does it get installed in?
>
> From reading several posts from you fine folks that's been doing this since the 80s, well I get a little overwhelmed with the information.  So if you can provide some help in neophytes terms :-) that would be great.

The "client" is HDBDOS.  You need to run HDBDOS on your CoCo to use
DriveWire in BASIC.

The instructions on Cloud9's website cover how to do this with or
without a rompak containing HDBDOS, and the same website also provides
all the files needed.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~mmarlette/Cloud-9/Software/DriveWire3.html

If you get stuck, let us know which specific step isn't working.