[Coco] Coco OS9 Source Control (question)

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Jun 16 17:55:38 EDT 2014

I am currently working on a source control system for the OS9 source files in my projects. The idea is to basically copy backups of any "changed" sources each time I compile (automatically). This system will be built into my custom OS9 C compiler, but will also have a standalone GUI for creating/editing/retrieving source projects. The GUI will create the initial checksum record for the source files to be used for later comparisons. Then the files are also archived for the first time with the checksum as an extension.

So far, my plan is to use the "last modified" date as my checksum to check for changed files, since my compiler "touches" all files it compiles. Before compiling each file, the system will check the last modified date of the file and compare it to the current project checksum list which is generated when you set up the project in the GUI module. If the checksum is different (newer), the new file is then archived with the new checksum as an extension, the checksum list is updated, and then compiling resumes.

What I am wondering, is there a better solution than using the "last modified" date?. I had thought of using the file CRC, but text files in OS9 do not have a generated CRC so a CRC generating routine would have to be added.
I know the "last modified" dateis not the most accurate method, but it's the best I have at the moment.

Any ideas on a better checksum? An easy way to get a CRC?

Thanks

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia