[Coco] Sacrificial carts - opinions?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Jun 4 20:03:53 EDT 2014

On 06/04/2014 03:42 PM, John Guin wrote:
> I'm not exactly sure if this question makes sense, but could someone who
> know how 3D printers work (?!) upload the design for one of these carts?
>
> At least that way folks with the right hardware could just make more.
>
> And if anyone does know the details, about how much would it cost to print a
> cart at today's rates?
>
> John
I have designed a first draft of a CoCo cartridge housing for 3D
printing.  I made a partial test print that failed due to an extruder
clog that I think shouldn't be a problem anymore if I keep the dust off
the filament.  I just last night upgraded the firmware in my
Thing-O-Matic and haven't had a chance to test it yet, but the Sailfish
firmware is supposed to significantly increase the speed and print
quality.  The material cost to print it would be minimal -- it's just
the machine time and the overhead that might make it cost more than the
injection molded ones.

On the other hand, they can be completely customizable.  I could easily
add mounting posts, holes, vents, et cetera to the basic design.  I
could make it to fit a Radio Shack cartridge PCB with the hole in the
middle, or something of your own design.  I could make it accommodate a
Raspberry Pi or an Arduino, or a custom PCB.  On my machine, I should be
able to build something from the size of the RS game carts to something
around the size of the DS-69 video digitizer, but not as long as the
full-length FDC or RS-232 Pak -- at least not without gluing together
multiple parts.

JCE