[Coco] a not very important drivewire question

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Jul 17 13:29:04 EDT 2014

@Robert Hermanek, my HDBDOS build is "current" and I get the same FC error when trying to use "DRIVE #255".
So I think Robert Gault is correct in his assumption. Since almost all the functions of HDBDOS are limited to 255 (drives, disks ect), the "-1" could probably be removed though I haven't checked the code to see if it's used as a constant for anything else not drive or disk related.

Not having any use for that many drives, I had never tried the command with 255. Which in reality, if you tried to mount 256 full size VHD images in drivewire, your computer would run out of memory long before you would get to vhd 255. I have 4 gig of mem on my PC and get memory warnings when I open other programs while DW4 is running with 8-20 VHD images loaded. Also, I run multiple instances of drivewire so that contributes to the memory use (and vhd count) as well. But I have noticed, the more vhds I load the more dw4 "lags" on some things. Also, the higher the sector number when reading and writing, the slower the transfer. This only makes sense as dw4 would have to seek from the beginning of the vhd/dsk file for each sector therefore taking it longer as the sector number gets higher. You can really see this when backing up one vhd to another. It gets slower and slower.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com