[Coco] Question about telnet control codes for the Coco3

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jul 15 09:29:06 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 15 July 2014 08:55:13 Robert Gault did opine
And Gene did reply:
> I've been working with Kandur to get a PC telnet program to connect
> with the Coco3 via a /t1 serial connection. Kandur has found that
> SecureCRT works very well at 9600baud with no glitching. The big
> problem with this type of connection is that all I/O is done through
> the PC keyboard not the Coco keyboard. So, how does one map the
> special Coco key CLEAR to a PC telnet terminal.
>
> The Coco makes use of the keyboard matrix to recognize the special
> keys. The obtained values have little if any relationship with the
> ascii control codes. That suggests that it would be impossible to send
> a character or set of characters by telnet to the Coco3 to permit
> changing windows under OS-9.
>
> There are other problems with some OS-9 programs which don't like
> telnet connections. One example is Vaughn Cato's VU which can't handle
> a telnet space character.

What is the hex value of that character?  Normally, thats an 0x20 in any
other environment.

> Has anyone solved these problems and if so how did you do it?
>
> Robert

I am as curious as the next on this.

Somewhat offtopic here.

My experience is the other way around, taking Brian Marquette's VT100
program and converting it to emulate the VT220 with one added function,
initiating or responding to, the zmodem transfer initiators. There was a
PDP-11/723 on the other end of the modem circuit that I was dialing up on
a 2400 baud modem.  The coco3 worked better than the failed VT-220.  It
was sluggish at 2400 baud, the coco3 wasn't.

But the PDP-11 was on its way out, gradually turning itself into a crash-
o-matic. That was costing us money because the satellite didn't get
switched on schedule & we didn't get paid for the dogfood spot when it was
supposed to a breakfast cereal spot in our market.  I conned Hugo, at CBS
into trading our machine out for his test mule, which in turn put him out
of the service ability, and led to CBS dropping the card to the tune of
about 10G's a station, replacing the PDP-11's with industrial grade PC's
with ARTIC cards in them.  A huge improvement in the systems flexibility.

That VT-220 package is available on my web page in case someone wants to
play around with D.E.C. stuff on a coco3 keyboard.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)