[Coco] Question about telnet control codes for the Coco3

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Jul 15 08:55:13 EDT 2014

I've been working with Kandur to get a PC telnet program to connect with the
Coco3 via a /t1 serial connection. Kandur has found that SecureCRT works very
well at 9600baud with no glitching. The big problem with this type of connection
is that all I/O is done through the PC keyboard not the Coco keyboard. So, how
does one map the special Coco key CLEAR to a PC telnet terminal.

The Coco makes use of the keyboard matrix to recognize the special keys. The
obtained values have little if any relationship with the ascii control codes.
That suggests that it would be impossible to send a character or set of
characters by telnet to the Coco3 to permit changing windows under OS-9.

There are other problems with some OS-9 programs which don't like telnet
connections. One example is Vaughn Cato's VU which can't handle a telnet space
character.

Has anyone solved these problems and if so how did you do it?

Robert