[Coco] Issues with NitrOS9 build

Richard E Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Sun Jan 26 23:26:34 EST 2014

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:55:50 -0500
Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 26 January 2014 18:51:50 Robert Gault did opine:
>
> > Bob Devries wrote:
> > ><snip>
> > >
> > > I found that the dmode of D0 has TYP set to 21 and dns set to 01.
> > > AFAIK, this is for 3.5" disk drives *only*. That is why the later
> > > versions can't be read on my 'older' version of NitrOS9, since
> > > that uses TYP=20 DNS=03.
> > >
> > > Question: when did NitrOS9 start using 3.5" drives, and is there
> > > some kind of option we could engineer to select 5.25" drives
> > > instead?
> > >
> > > Regards, Bob Devries
> > > Dalby, QLD, Australia
> >
> > Probably when we started distributing 80-track disk images. All
> > 40-track disks were assumed to be standard 5.25" 48tpi floppies.
> > Currently the most available larger drives are 3.5" drives that can
> > be used with 135tpi 80-track MF2DD disks.
> >
> > Are 5.25" 96tpi drives still being sold?
> >
> > Robert
> >

> I think the last ones sold were the combo drives that spun a 5.25"
> disk on the bottom of the spindle, and a 3.5" on the top of the
> spindle.  Probably sold over a decade ago & none since.
>
> I have 2 of those, at least 10yo now, but haven't spent a lot of time
> seeing if I could actually use one or both on the coco.  I would
> venture a guess a new one can't be found today.

Well I tried using one of those with my CoCo and MultiPak setup and the
stinky blue smoke came out. So be forewarned. I probably did something
wrong, but who knows. Jumpers maybe? The 3.5 portion still work, but I
don't know about the 5.25 portion. I have not installed in a proper
desktop unit to find out.