[Coco] Issues with NitrOS9 build

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jan 26 18:55:50 EST 2014

On Sunday 26 January 2014 18:51:50 Robert Gault did opine:

> Bob Devries wrote:
> ><snip>
> >
> > I found that the dmode of D0 has TYP set to 21 and dns set to 01.
> > AFAIK, this is for 3.5" disk drives *only*. That is why the later
> > versions can't be read on my 'older' version of NitrOS9, since that
> > uses TYP=20 DNS=03.
> >
> > Question: when did NitrOS9 start using 3.5" drives, and is there some
> > kind of option we could engineer to select 5.25" drives instead?
> >
> > Regards, Bob Devries
> > Dalby, QLD, Australia
>
> Probably when we started distributing 80-track disk images. All 40-track
> disks were assumed to be standard 5.25" 48tpi floppies. Currently the
> most available larger drives are 3.5" drives that can be used with
> 135tpi 80-track MF2DD disks.
>
> Are 5.25" 96tpi drives still being sold?
>
> Robert

I think the last ones sold were the combo drives that spun a 5.25" disk on
the bottom of the spindle, and a 3.5" on the top of the spindle.  Probably
sold over a decade ago & none since.

I have 2 of those, at least 10yo now, but haven't spent a lot of time
seeing if I could actually use one or both on the coco.  I would venture a
guess a new one can't be found today.