[Coco] More Newbie Questions for VCC

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Jan 24 19:24:40 EST 2014

Glen,
I can't see why you would have a probem with Vcc 1.42 and disk images.
The only documentation you should need is the Color Computer Disk Extended Color Basic manual as the disk system in Vcc 1.42. is an emulation of an actual disk system.... nothing special.

Here is the "standard" disk config from the "Cartridge" menu:

Cartridge: MPI (mpi.dll)
MPI Config:
Slot Select: 4 for FD-502, 3 For RGB Dos (I think, try both :-)

MPI Slot 4: FD-502 26-3133 (fd502.dll)
MPI Slot 3: Hard Drive + Cloud9 RTC (harddrive.dll)
MPI Slot 2: Orchestra-90 26-3143 (orch90.dll)
MPI Slot 1: empty

Your FD-502 Config menu should be: (checked)
Dos Image: RGB Dos (or Disk Basic if you're NOT using a VHD)
OverClock Disk Drive (faster loads)
Persistent Disk Images
Clock at 0xFF50-51

Physical Disks
Both at none

Now in the "Configuration/Config" menu
CPU tab
Memory Size (any above 512k, NitrOS9 will support 2048k)
CPU: either Motorola MC6809 or Hitachi HD6309
Over-Clocking: minimum (for now)

Display tab:
[F6] Monitor Type:
RGB (unless playing games as some require Composite)
(check) Allow Resize (allow you to "max the screen, full screen may not work on newer computers but "max" will)
(check) [F8] Throttle Speed

Keyboard tab:
Keyboard Mapping: Basic if you want Coco keyboard emulation (see manual) or OS-9 if you want your PC keyboard layout (for the most part, again read the manual)

Joysticks tab:
Left/Right Joystick Input: I set both to mouse that way either will work, not good for a 2 player game though.

Misc tab:
Misc:
(check) AutoStart Emulation
(check) AutoStart Cart

All others use at your discretion

With these settings, it should behave just like a regular Coco 3, or a Coco 3 running RGB Dos (which ever you select)
The only difference in commands is the addition of the RGB Dos commands when that is selected, which are much like HDBDOS commands.
There are maybe a handful of programs that will not run under VCC mostly due to VCC not emulating some of the "undocumented" features of a Coco 3. For the most part, it's "dead on".

As a side note, if you are going to try to run Nitros9 on Vcc 1.4.2, you need to use the "standard" 40trk and 80trk disk images from the repo. BUT, they do not support the VHD and a special bootdisk will have to be built for that... sorry.. it's being worked on (finally).

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com