[Coco] Why haven't we got this?!!

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Jan 23 17:35:25 EST 2014

On Thursday 23 January 2014 17:34:46 iggybeans at comcast.net did opine:

> >Can this 40 cent cpu do Position Independent Code?
>
> With 16 times the addressing range, is that important?
> And, it would definitely be nice to edit documents larger than we
> currently can.
>
> Beyond that, it clocks at almost 10 times the speed of a Coco3 (more
> like 20X if you consider the Z8S180 I mentioned). Even if the 6809 is
> more efficient, it can't make up for that gap.
>
> Position independent code? Can the 6809 (or 6309) beat other
> alternatives like the 68040? Its a non-issue.

Bottom line is that nitros9 could not be ported to it without that.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.

Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later.
		-- F. Brooks, "The Mythical Man-Month"
         law-abiding citizens.