[Coco] Why haven't we got this?!!

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 16:24:38 EST 2014

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 23 January 2014 14:25:56 iggybeans at comcast.net did opine:
>
>> Interesting GUI/OS.
>> I was never that big of a fan of the Z-80, but I can get the processors
>> really cheap. A 16 MHz Z80182 costs me $.40 (yes, I stated that
>> correctly, forty cents). And 33 MHz Z8S180 chips are also available
>> with a 1mb address range, memory management and DMA. So the OS does
>> have more potential than NitrOS-9, if only from an available hardware
>> standpoint.
>
> Can this 40 cent cpu do Position Independent Code?

Uh, oh.  Processor Wars - a quasi-religious undertaking :-)

I spent years coding for Z80s and Z180/HD64180 in assembler and it didn't
hurt me a bit.  The 6809 has a lot to recommend it, though.  Wish I'd had
some exposure to it Back In the Day.

We tend to use what's in front of us, and in my case that was generally a
CP/M-80 machine.

Steve