[Coco] [OT] Commodore 64 slow floppy

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Wed Jan 22 18:44:05 EST 2014

Well... Here's a blog entry from one of the programmers:

"CP/M (in any of its variants) didn’t really do a whole lot. There was a
simple flat file system. There was some character-at-a-time console output
(useless on a computer with a graphical interface). And CP/M could load and
programs. That was about it. (By modern standards it was missing: A
heirarchical file system with directories, networking, memory management,
processes and process scheduling, a notion of time, synchronization and
locking primitives, a driver architecture, graphics, fonts, character sets .
. . you get the idea).

GEM was was bolted on top of this primitive base. Since the underlying OS
didn’t support more than one task, GEM had a lot of its own stuff to enable
things like “desk accessories” that could run concurrently with (say) a word
processor. It was pretty clunky.

None of us liked CP/M-68K. So when we heard that someone at DRI had been
doing something much better, even though it was still unfinished, we
unofficially jumped at it. GEMDOS started as a skunkworks project by a DRI
engineer who had a reputation for being a loose canon. GEMDOS had a
heirarchical file system that was compatible with MSDOS; it had a few other
improvements, but this was the biggie. But in December 1984 GEMDOS was still
being written.

The STs that went to the CES show were running CP/M-68K. In late January,
after a bunch of hand-wringing, Leonard Tramiel made the decision to go with
GEMDOS. We’d had it substantially working for several weeks, and it looked
like it was going to be fine. Notably we did not have any hard disks to try
it out on, so all of our testing was done on floppy disk based systems —
this would come back to hit us hard later."

http://www.dadhacker.com/blog/?p=1000