[Coco] NitrOS9 build errors

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jan 21 18:18:59 EST 2014

On Tuesday 21 January 2014 17:37:14 Mark Marlette did opine:

> Gene,
>
> I remember this...
>
> You sent the TC^3 to me because I couldn't get a response less than a
> book on the SCSI controllers response when you did two pokes from ECB.

> I did the two pokes in under 30 seconds at Cloud-9. No problem with the
> TC^3. Sent the unit back, still didn't work for you. Later you found a
> conflict in your hardware. IIRC,  Disto Super Controller at same
> address as TC^3. Not exactly sure on what your solution was.

Move your controller to the $FF7x area, (where it still is, as the no-halt
is still at its old address. I still couldn't make it work. Sent you the
whole thing.  You then made it bootable but didn't tell me what you did to
make it bootable.  I stumbled around for several years, booting from
floppies long enough to read in the OS9Boot file from the floppy.

> You also have to realize that we were developing SuperDriver and you
> were on the older TC^3 driver, IIRC. I don't know if you ever moved
> off  the older driver or not. There is a reason that Boisy released new
> drivers... :)

I was on the Superdriver all along Mark. I was downloading the newer
versions as you worked on them.

> I can create any boot I would like, easy using the scripts. Scripts were
> used to build the system. When the SuperIDE came out, I cloned the
> image of the output from the device that was created using the scripts.
>
> Custom boots = custom charges. My spare time to develop products is my
> free time. Thus my custom service fees are very expensive.
>
> It is hard to create custom boots when one doesn't know their hardware
> configuration, even in NitrOS-9 and the scripts. The scripts just get
> you in trouble faster...... :)

Agreed, while they do work, the customization to fit the hardware on the
table can be confusing at best.  The newbies most common problem, like the
2 clock2's that was reported earlier today.

> Thanks for the memory trigger, it was the easiest service work I have
> ever had.. :)

My pleasure. ;-)

> I am afraid to ask....You still can't build a boot for the TC^3?
>
> Not afraid of the response, anyone one that knows Gene, his responses
> can be long........that is what I am afraid of. :) No details required,
> just a yes or no. :)

Yes, I've been booting anything I want from the HD for about 4 or 5 years
now, see patch below that actually makes it work and is still in
boot_scsi.asm as of a pull in mid November.

> Regards,
>
> Mark

[...]

> Double checking the above statement against what is now boot_scsi.asm,
> my patch is still there.
>
> ======
> scsival        FCB
> $80+1,$80+2,$80+4,$80+8,$80+16,$80+32,$80+64,$80

> a few lines later:
>                lda       WhichDrv,pcr        get SCSI ID
>                leax      <scsival,pcr        point to SCSI value table
>                lda       a,x                 get appropriate bitmask
>                sta       SCSIDATA,y          put on SCSI bus
> ======

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Required reading: