[Coco] Newbie questions

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Jan 21 12:59:40 EST 2014

Hi & welcome Sean... Good to see some new blood :-)

I think I see your problem right off the bat.
The Sierra games you are trying to run require several special drivers and a particular teminal (/term) & driver.

Since you are booting into nitros9 from the becker port, you are most likely booting up with "cogrf" or "cowin" as the display driver. All Sierra games require "covdg" which is a 32 column green screen (old Coco 2 style).
This is why when booting the games disks alone works as they have the proper boot on the disks.

Also, there has to be several drivers named "vrn" and "vi" in your bootfile for Sierra games and "ftdd" and possibly "nil" for Flight Sim and Sub Sim.

The reason behind this is the Sierra games as well as Flight Sim and Sub Sim were all developed before the "Developement System" disk was released by Microware and Tandy. This disk included the new windows drivers and graphics handlers that are default on the Nitros9 boot disks.
So the early games developers developed their own graphics handlers in the above drivers until Tandy released the later drivers. Most games developed after then used the newer drivers. As far as I know, those games are the only ones with those requirements.

To have the best of both worlds, you must create a boot system with both "CoWin" and "CoVDG" with "/Wx" descriptors and "/Vx" descriptors in the same boot as well as "VRN", "VI", "FTDD" and possibly "NIL" (yes you can do this)

Then you can boot up in an 80 column screen and when you want to play a Sierra game you type:

shell i=/v1&<enter> (this creates a VDG window)
<clear> key to the VDG window
Sierra<enter>

Being new to OS-9, this may all be Japanese, but I hope it helps :-)

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com