[Coco] The early days of Hacking and Coding a CoCo Was: Here's a CoCo 1 ...

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 00:28:24 EST 2014

On Jan 20, 2014 11:00 PM, "Mark McDougall" <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> On 21/01/2014 1:46 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>
> > Where I think we disagree is whether the tablet phase is going
> > to be some sort of long lived plateau.   In my opinion, they are just
too
> > limited to be a big deal.
>
> You're biased by the fact that (like me) you're a 'power user' and a
> 'tinkerer'. I used to be of a similar opinion, but that's changing. My
> mother took her iPad OS for 3 months and realised she only needs her
> computer for printing. And that will eventually be rectified. These days,
> she doesn't go anywhere without it and it's even starting to get annoying
> how regularly she picks it up to check her emails. And to think she used
> to complain about dad always being on the computer! :O

The concept of a "power user" is actually part of the problem with how
computing is presented (imho).  Its confusing the technical (which is of
little interest to most folks) with the truly powerful capabilities
computing can provide which are often quite interesting to the average
person.

If you ask random people whether they would like to publish a website, I'd
bet most would say no, some would say yes but no idea how, others would say
yes but no idea what actually goes into a website, etc.

On the other hand, if you asked random people if they would like to share
their experience and knowledge with people who were interested in it, I
suspect most would say yes.

A "power user" probably knows how to create a website or blog, etc.  This
doesn't mean the desire to do this is their exclusive domain, and it
doesn't mean only the power user's experiences are worth sharing.

I see this as one of computings most important challenges.. find ways to
deliver the power of technology to people without forcing them to learn any
"power user" nonsense.  Tablets, at least the ones running systems
originally designed for phones, are a step away from empowering users to
create when presented as a substitute for a traditional computer.  Saying a
tablet is "all somebody needs" is basically saying they won't ever be able
to do powerful things.  It's giving up on a goal that I think is obtainable
and valuable to our society.

> You & I will always need a powerhouse on the desktop but tablets are not
> going away. Mine is perfect for travelling for checking emails, forums and
> entertainment (reading, puzzles & movies). It even gets used at home when
> I'm in front of the TV when my wife is 'forcing' me to watch The Real
> Housewives of New Jersey & Beverly Hills! I wouldn't give mine up for
> quids now...

I use tablets all the time too, they are great toys.  I am not at all
"anti-tablet".  My only concern is with the suggestion they are "all
someone needs".  If someone believes that, I think computing in general has
failed them.