[Coco] NitrOS9 build errors

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Jan 19 22:49:34 EST 2014

Tormod,
Though some seem to disagree, ALL of the repo disks need to be formatted to FULL size upon creation.
Sure, it takes up more space, but there is a reason. (if someone's worried about 360k vs 120k etc, they need a new pooter)
And yes... I know drivewire will "expand" these disks as needed.... BUT...
Vcc, Mess, JV Emu, and XRoar will not.
On the emulators, all backups, dskinis, copies or writing beyond the "actual" size will fail !
This was the reason they were set to full size before. Those who don't use emulators and just use dw don't care but to the emulator users, this becomes a big deal.
Sure, the files can be copied to another disk... but why? They shouldn't have to be copied.
And yes, there's a lot of wasted space on the "utility" disks and I have suggested more than once to consolidate all those files down to one disk of utilities with each "package" under it's own dir.

And as always,I suggest all nitros9 disks (specifically the bootable disks) be available in 35trk SSDD format (180k) as well to allow direct backups to a real floppy for booting from DECB. This has been ignored for 3 years (not saying it's your fault). There seems to be more and more people using floppies these days.
You cannot backup a 40trk DSDD to a 35trk SSDD disk in OS9 or DECB. And as they are, these disks cannot be just "copied" to an 35trk disk and work without a lot of trouble and they will not boot from a real disk even if the disk is formated the same. We've had the "how do I make a real disk from the repo disk" question asked here many times. I've seen many people get frustrated over this.

All-in-all, the only disk that do not need to be set to full standard sized disk images are the DW and Becker disks.

just my 2 cents...

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia