[Coco] [coco] OS9, terminals and memory

George Ramsower georgera at gvtc.com
Sat Jan 18 12:33:34 EST 2014

  Years ago, I wanted a better display for my coco2. Since I used OS9, I
figured this shouldn't be too difficult to use the terminal instead. I
had a Kimtron KT-7. I think the model # is correct.
  So, after proving it would work as a /t2 terminal, I made a new boot
disk without gfx or /term drivers, maybe a couple other things used for
the video and/or keyboard. In the boot, /term was /t2 renamed /term. It
too, worked.
  It was interesting to see the boot-up work. It started out looking
normal on the old TV but, once OS9 started, the display stopped getting
updated and everything began to show up on the Kimtron. The keyboard was
disabled. The driver for the keyboard was deleted in the new boot too.
At the time, I didn't know enough to save some memory, if it could be
done without those drivers but, it worked!!
  As I experimented further, I saw that the old video memory for the
built in VDG got used for other processes. I would assume this also gave
me a few more bytes to use. It was fun to play with until I got a CC3
with 512k ram and the experiment ended.
  Of course, it wouldn't support any video games or graphics at all but,
since I didn't use those anyway, it was good by me.

George