[Coco] Amiga Systems

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jan 15 18:49:50 EST 2014

On Wednesday 15 January 2014 18:41:35 Mark McDougall did opine:

> On 16/01/2014 4:15 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I would argue that point about the amiga mouse being inferior. The
> > premise is still the best there ever was because it was absolutely
> > lagless, but the mechanical implementations that were foisted off on
> > the amiga people were abominable,
>
> Personally, for me the Amiga mouse was used to select a game from the OS
> and was then duly tossed aside to pick up the joystick for the
> subsequent hour or so. So I'm in no position to argue the finer points
> of lag etc and am more than happy to defer to you on the subject, Gene.
>
> The Amiga mouse buttons were, as you put it, abominable and as expected,
> both failed eventually even with my meagre usage of them, to be replaced
> by a couple of micro-switches that required my mouse to forever-after
> remain 'topless'.
>
> And of course the ball was a dirt/goo magnet; I was forever cleaning
> that.
>
> Anyway, my point was that the ergonomic design and mechanical
> construction of modern PS/2 mice means that you never have to deal with
> these issues again. So it would come down to the lag issue - a personal
> preference.
>
> Regards,

My biggest, most vociferous bitch about these modern mice is that the
location of the optics is related to the cost of the mouse.  In case you
haven't noticed, they are clear to the rear of the mouse on the 10 dollar
version, which makes then totally out of square because you can't go
sideways with your wrist when its under the wrist joint itself.  You have
to pay $60 or more to get one where the optics is closer to the front, and
it moves far more naturally.  And the last one I bought, doesn't have a
scroll wheel, but a sensor strip that works like the finger pads on your
laptop, but it seems far more sensitive to sideways motion that it ought to
be.  I'd druther have the wheel any day.  So call me an old fart, I want
stuff to Just Work(TM).

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

If you wait long enough, it will go away... after having done its damage.
If it was bad, it will be back.
         law-abiding citizens.