[Coco] anyone game to test?: Pooyan .cas file to .wav

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Wed Jan 15 03:06:12 EST 2014

Tormod Volden wrote:

> You can also try Ciaran's XRoar for converting to a WAV file like this:
>
> xroar -load Pooyan.cas -tape-rewrite -tape-write Pooyan.wav
> (then type CLOADM in the emulator, the WAV file will be written as it
> loads the CAS file)

It's worth pointing out that this is not just a simple CAS to WAV
converter.  In fact I usually use it for CAS to CAS...

Lots of old CAS files assumed the hacks of an emulator and would not
load into a real machine when simply converted.  The main purpose of the
-tape-rewrite option is to take "badly formed" CAS files and byte-align
all the writes and add leader whenever the motor is switched off and on
during the loading process.

It does this by intercepting ROM calls, so custom loaders can mess with it
(e.g., Superkid).  Some programs depend on leader timing while loading, so
the resulting files may still need some editing (Pedro, Cosmic Cruiser).

..ciaran