[Coco] Amiga Systems

Christopher Barnett Fox cbfox01 at syr.edu
Tue Jan 14 22:06:50 EST 2014

John,

I had an ECS Amiga 500 in the '90s. Great fun.

I just recently uncovered an old stock Amiga 1200, and I'm in the process
of upgrading it. I've got a Mot 68882 FPU, 8MB Fast RAM and RTC upgrade in
the trapdoor slot, and I've got Kickstart 3.1 ROM chips on the way from
AmigaKit. I've built a CF-based HD replacement, using an inexpensive
44-pin laptop IDE to CF adapter available online. Be aware, on older
versions of the AmigaOS (up to 3.1, I think?), the formatting and
partitioning for the card has specific limitations - no support over 4GB,
I believe. However, 4GB is quite a bit of storage for these old machines.
Also note, I believe some RAM upgrades, (over 4MB?) conflict with the use
of the PCMCIA slot.

I have to say, if you really just want to play around with the AmigaOS and
run some of the games, modern emulators are amazing. I picked up Amiga
Forever, really for licensed copies of all the Kickstart ROMs and
Workbench disk sets. I built my CF card to boot my Amiga hardware inside
of UAE using the Workbench 3.1 installer ADFs that come with Amiga
Forever. It's a great way to support the scene and legally obtain the OS
and ROMs.

http://www.amigaforever.com
http://www.amigakit.com

If you want the flavor of AmigaOS and the ability to dual-boot Linux, you
might take a look at the MorphOS project. It runs on some of the older
PowerPC-based Macs, which will also run some Linux distros.

http://www.morphos.de

--
Christopher Fox