[Coco] RPi DriveWire Success!

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Jan 14 15:43:29 EST 2014

On 01/14/2014 12:37 PM, Frank Swygert wrote:
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:12:22 -0600
> From: Joel Ewy<jcewy at swbell.net>
>
> > Sufficient fiddling got me through....
>
> Joel, would you make your RPi install available on a bootable USB
> stick? I'm not really interested right now, but I'm sure others would be.

At the moment I'm just using stock Raspbian, which I've updated with
Synaptic, and installed OpenJDK and DriveWire 4.  I may go as far as
making it run DW at boot time, but I don't expect to customize it in any
way that others couldn't just as easily do on their own.

> You might need to move to an external power supply (like a switching
> laptop PS) or at least an external transformer (larger wall wart?) for
> power. That would free up some room in the case and reduce heat.

Right now the power supplies for both the FPGA board and the RPi are
external wart-like things, but they're both 5VDC supplies, so I really
just need to find something that can supply enough current to run them
both.  3.5A should be sufficient.  Then I'll just hook up a power
connector to the back of the CoCo case, add a single switch to turn the
whole rig on and off, and run the internal cables to all the relevant
bits and pieces.  If i can't find a 5V 3500mA external supply I guess I
might have to use something like a 12V supply and put voltage regulators
inside the case.

JCE