[Coco] RPi DriveWire Success!

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Tue Jan 14 13:37:32 EST 2014

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:12:22 -0600
From: Joel Ewy<jcewy at swbell.net>

Sufficient fiddling got me through.  I've booted NitrOS-9 on my
CoCo3FPGA from a DriveWire 4 server running on a Raspberry Pi.  This is
pretty cool, because there is a good chance I can get both the RPi and
the CoCo3FPGA to live in the same CoCo 3 case and eventually run off the
same power supply.  Then if I can wedge a PS/2/USB keyboard adapter in
there with some kind of a switch, I can run them both from the same
keyboard.  A mini USB hub in the cartridge bay will allow me to plug in
memory sticks and whatnot and I can have a hybrid PiCo.  I have a
ViewSonic LCD that allows me to switch between the analog VGA for the
CoCo3FPGA, and the DVI port (with HDMI adapter) for the RPi with the
touch of a button.  I need to try out Bill's DW4Man.  That should
minimize the need to switch back and forth.  But with a little work I
could have a self-contained WiFi-enabled 25MHz CoCo that's also a fully
usable Raspberry Pi.  I like.

Joel, would you make your RPi install available on a bootable USB stick? I'm not really interested right now, but I'm sure others would be. You might need to move to an external power supply (like a switching laptop PS) or at least an external transformer (larger wall wart?) for power. That would free up some room in the case and reduce heat.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine