[Coco] Res: Re: Case whitening [was MY CoCo3]

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 14 12:59:14 EST 2014

Bill Loguidice <bill at ...> writes:

> That's been my concern with the process, that there's been no long-term
> study as to its efficacy. I've heard many reports in various communities of
> it essentially wearing off. It's not only commonly done with the CoCo 3,
> but also other platforms with similar casings like the Super NES and
> various Apple II computers and components. I'd also be concerned about
> additional applications eventually weakening the plastic. Outside of new
> cases (presumably 3D printers will eventually be up to snuff - say within
> 10 years), I think I'd just rather leave all my vintage technology yellowed
> and a bit ugly.

Yes. In most cases it will yellow at an accelerated rate unless you coat the
plastic with something to effectively seal it.

Some have used armour-all (?) car wax.

I have an Amiga 4000 which I retrobrighted then spray painted with a satin
finish clear paint. You can't see the paint, the satin finish blending away
totally invisible but it's kept it largely white.

I avoid doing keycaps since these normally have a smooth polished finish and
the retrobright can take this off... white but no shine. Also, it can fade
the lettering if left on to long.

Nick