[Coco] Case whitening [was MY CoCo3]

Glen VanDenBiggelaar glenvdb at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 14 10:20:28 EST 2014

Nick and others,
I am not sure I have mentioned this here, but after restoring so many Amiga's I will let you all in on a easy Case whitening method I have used again and again. You all may have heard of Retr0brite, but here in Canada, I have not be able to track down HP more than .03% without a licence and such, but believe it or not, you can use hair dye!
I didn't think it was true, so I ordered a "sample" of of ebay for less then $8 usd.
The product I used was called Schwarzkopf Igora Royal Developer -the ideal is 40 volume 13% but I used 30 volume 9% it just takes longer.
You mix that in with Schwarzkopf Igora Vario Blond Extra Power White Toner (mix is 2 to 1)(kit is 1 to 1).
eBay item number:390357104787 (is the sample kit)
you will get a foamy paste. Cover the yellowed area with the paste and leave it 24 hours and wash off the dried crust. That's it. No UV light needed- although some say it works better if you put it in a plastic bag to avoid fast evaporation, and some say it works faster with UV light.
because I have only used the sample kits, I have tried to cheap out and put it on thinly. 1 kit will not do a full Amiga 1200 top shell, or a whole Amiga 3000 keyboard. You need to make sure every inch is covered in the foam. it doesn't even require gloves, but I guess they should be warn.

depending on the severity, you may need to do it a few times. I have seen first hand, that after 2 years, the yellowing has not returned, although some say it does, and should be sealed in a UV resistant coating.