[Coco] Printing on cheap crappy printers with a CoCo was Re: Printing on a Coco with modern printers.

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 01:15:36 EST 2014

On Jan 11, 2014 12:23 AM, "Gene Heskett" <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> Yup, but it comes with a 17,000 lb bull elephant too.  In the form of once
> fired up the first time, you don't dare let it sit for a week else those
> submicron sized nozzles are plugged, often forever.  I managed to keep an
> older Epson ink squirter going for quite a while, several years, but it
had
> its cost because to keep it from plugging up, I had to run a full page
> color output daily.  That added up to about $300 for ink a year.  Way more
> than the $10 for a ream of paper.  I solved the lack of exercise problem
by
> using it to print the nightly amanda backup report which at that time also
> use some color in its column headings.  Sadly, someone took the color out
> of the raw template so its all B&W now.  I didn't even notice at the time.

Since we're miles from the topic anyway, here's something I always find
funny..
I don't print things hardly at all, so it takes a couple years to use up
the ink a printer comes with.  For all I know I'm not even using it all,
it's just drying up or evaporating.
Anyway, the last 3 or 4 times that I've run out of ink, I go to an Office
Depot or Max or whatever and they will have brand new printers for sale
cheaper than a set of cartridges for the printer I already have.  So I've
ended up with new $30-$40 printers (with ink) instead of ink each time.
Seems bizarre, but I guess the profit model is all geared towards selling
the ink, not the printers.